Empowerment Self-Defense for POC, Queer and Trans* Folks, Free classes!
Saturday, Sept. 17 and/or Saturday, Sept. 24
10 am – 12:30 pm
3405 Chicago Ave. S. Mpls, MN 55407
Topics we will cover include:
• Managing Stress, Fear and Anxiety
• Self-Esteem and Physical Confidence
• Self-Care Practices
• Physical and Emotional Boundaries
• Using Your Voice/Verbal Responses
• De-Escalation/Conflict Resolution
• Basic Physical Defense
• Identifying and Responding to Triggers
• Feeling More Connected to Your Body
• Sexual Negotiation and Consent
• Common Scenarios and "What Ifs"
• Profiling and Harassment by Law Enforcement
• Community Responses to Violence
Each class is a stand-alone class. We will review basic techniques from the first week for those who can only attend on the 24th. Content will be shaped by the needs and interests of those who attend. Open to people of all abilities and all levels of experience 18 and up, (younger with parent/guardian permission). Please call 612-327-0576 with any questions.
Coffee and bagels (including gluten-free) will be provided.
Sponsored by Out in the Backyard, The Exchange, MTHC and CANDO
Instructor Bio: Diane Long has been teaching Sex Positive Self Defense for over 25 years to help people manage fear and anxiety and to counter the effects of violence and oppression.